Haris & Associates Phuket Thailand Legal Blog

Your Reliable Source Of Legal Information in Thailand

What is Nominee Shareholdership?

nominee shareholdership became a popular practice among overseas shareholders in Thailand. However, we also know that practice is downright against the law and that the Board of Investments and other relevant specialists in the Kingdom are breaking down on those foreign-companies that make use of nominal shareholders.

Let us realize why nominal shareholders are illegitimate for foreigners, but first why don’t we have a look at what foreign-owned companies are required in conditions of share possession in order to use lawfully within the Kingdom.

Under Thai regulation, foreign-owned companies remain necessary to have Thai shareholders positioning at least 40% of the business’ capital. This leaves only 60% to international ownership. You can find exceptions to the when the business decides to purchase market that the BOI is positively promoting for international investors. In cases like this, the business may be 100% international owned rather than going right through the 60-40 proportion in shareholdership.

In other circumstances, some foreign investors, rather than registering a foreign-owned company, opt to feel the local route. Which means that they add a locally-owned company, and therefore most the shareholders are Thais.

For various reasons, overseas nationals opt to take good thing about nominal shareholders when adding their business. One reason is to include a locally managed company in order to enjoy several benefits not afforded to a foreign-owned company, like employed in market that is, for legal reasons, limited to foreigners as theoretically their better quality financial functions can put local entrepreneurs at a drawback.

Now, Thai legislation implicitly requires a local company’s BoD must have local Thais buying more than 50% of the business’s stocks and paid-up capital.

With the business people wanting to keep possession to themselves in both situations, that’s where the utilization of nominal shareholders will come in.

HOW does It Works?

To conclude, nomimal shareholders are simply just shareholders by name. They affix their signatures in the business’s incorporating documents as shareholders, nevertheless they aren’t true shareholders.

For example, they actually maintain no real stocks nor do they exercise voting privileges within the business. The real possession of the stocks relax with the international nationals, who together exercise possession and voting privileges in the decisions about the company.

In some instances, nominal shareholders are also designed to sign a file stating they are selling their stocks and that the international nationals are buying again those shares.

The only real reason that nominal shareholders are present is to complete the legal requirements of adding the business. This enables the entity to use legally, even though the circumstances surroundings its sign up in the Kingdom are doubtful.

WHY IS IT Illegal?

Nominal shareholders aren’t downright illegitimate in Thailand. Actually, regulations allows locally managed companies to hire nominal shareholders to meet up with the the least 3 stockholders in making use of the neighborhood business.

However, the Foreign Business Action implicitly disallows the practice in combining foreign-owned businesses or locally-owned companies that are actually owned by international nationals. A couple of hefty fines enforced by regulations on local people who help out with incorporating a corporation that is intended to bypass the restrictions enforced by Thai legislations on foreign-owned companies.

If you’re seeking to choose company in Thailand, you may want to begin considering your Panel of Directors as well as your options accessible to you when making use of your business in the Kingdom. You might like to think about acquiring the help of a legal professional as well.

Leave a Comment

JapanRussia